Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Teen Librarian and Customer Service

The Gorman and Suellentrop chapter on customer service really inspired me.

It describes things that I already do in my job.  I leave the desk and ask if anybody needs anything.  If someone needs to find a book, I don't just find it for them, I show them how to use the catalog and how to read the call number.  Then I will ask if they need help finding the book.  If no, I let them go, if yes, I point them in the right direction and describe how our library is set up.  It is just a rectangle with large labeled sections.  I tell them that if they need help to come and get me and I will be right there.

Another thing I have is great patience.  Sure things bug me like when kids proudly say, "I don't read," but that is because they are confused.  As a good teen librarian, we can help them out.  I am a great listener and am empethetic.  I like to "be there" for them; sometimes they have nobody else.

I could picture being a teen librarian and being an advocate for them. 

I'm glad we read this chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment